Since 1891 \ 1915
The Aracoma Baptist Church was the first church to be built in Logan, organized April 2, 1891 at a meeting held in the home of the Reverend J. M. Wood. In August of that year the church asked for admission into the Guyandotte Association. Beginning with eight constituent members the church met for three or four years in various places (homes & courthouse). A house of worship was finished in 1894 from property received from Major J.A. Nighbert and would serve as the meeting place of the church for 21 years. The church minutes record a resolution to organize a Sunday School beginning June 4, 1894. Through the years the church has been noted for its support of missionary work. Miss Mary Bonar was its first Missionary and in 1925 was sent to the upper Belgian Congo where she served for many years supported entirely by First Baptist Church. The talents of the men serving as pastor through the years have been many and varied. Their ministries in God's name to His people have been recalled fondly over the years.
In 1911 a share of the old property was owned by the neighboring Christian Church and was bought out by First Baptist. Through the will of the late H.C. Ragland the parsonage and the lot upon which it stands came into the possession of the church at the death of Mrs. Ragland which occurred in April, 1914. In the Spring of 1915 the old lot was given to Judge J. B. Wilkinson in exchange for the lot on the east side of the parsonage. The church began at once the construction of a new church building and the work proceeded rapidly until the time of completion. The new building was dedicated on November 21, 1915.
As a local assembly of the Body of Christ, He is our identity and the Holy Scriptures as contained in the Old and New Testaments our final rule for faith and practice. We are Baptist, our core beliefs are taken from the New Hampshire Confession of 1833, being in harmony with the doctrines of older confessions (1644 London, 1689 London, & 1742 Philadelphia ), this stream of historic Baptist teachings are essential in safe guarding our discipleship and protecting our doctrine in seasons where our identity is challenged.